Boyana Church in Oil: A Medieval Treasure of Sofia Through Expressive Palette Knife Painting

 

Boyana Church in Oil: A Medieval Treasure of Sofia

Sofia is a city where centuries of history exist alongside modern life. Among its most remarkable historical landmarks is the Boyana Church, a medieval monument that has become an important part of Bulgaria’s cultural heritage.

For my latest painting, I chose the Boyana Church as a subject and interpreted it through my own expressive approach to oil painting.



Painting History Through Color and Texture

This artwork was created using my expressive palette knife oil technique. Instead of relying primarily on traditional brushwork, I use the palette knife to apply and shape the paint directly on the canvas.

This creates strong textures, visible layers of color, and energetic strokes. The technique allows me to interpret the architecture and atmosphere of the Boyana Church in a contemporary and personal way.

The goal is not simply to reproduce the building as it appears in reality. I want the painting to communicate something about the character of the place — its history, atmosphere, colors, and connection with Sofia.



The Boyana Church

The Boyana Church is one of Sofia's most recognizable historical landmarks. Its medieval character and remarkable artistic heritage make it an inspiring subject for painting.

When I approach a historical subject, I am interested in the dialogue between past and present. The building belongs to another era, while the painting becomes a contemporary interpretation of that heritage.

Through expressive colors and palette-knife textures, I wanted to give the familiar landmark a fresh visual presence.



Watch the Painting

I have also created a short video presenting this painting and the artistic result.

Watch the video on YouTube:



Boyana Church in Oil | Sofia’s Medieval Treasure | Palette Knife Art

[https://youtube.com/shorts/gc65jrUUHh0]

If you enjoy oil painting, Bulgarian cultural heritage, Sofia landmarks, and expressive contemporary art, I hope this painting gives you a different way to experience the Boyana Church.

Thank you for visiting Dimitar Velichkov Art and following my artistic journey.

🎨 Dimitar Velichkov Art
πŸ“ Sofia, Bulgaria

Comments